On the premise that 'what gets measured gets managed', companies need to understand and manage the quantities of water withdrawn, as well as the quality and quantity of water released, with particular attention in water-stressed areas.
Answering stakeholders’ expectations, data and indicators should be available for disclosure and/or benchmark. A set of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) have been identified and are now included in the CSI Charter as part of member companies’ commitments to report and manage their impact.
- Total water withdrawal by source (G4 EN8)
- Total water discharge by quality and destination (G4EN22)
- Total water consumption (Global Water Tool (GWT) for Cement Sector)
- Percentage of sites with water recycling. For aggregate operations, this is comprised of the following two indicators: (i) Percentage of sites with a water process; (ii) Percentage of sites with awater recycling system
Click on the descriptions below to see more.
- Water withdrawal
- Water discharge
- Water consumption
- Percentage of sites with water recycling
Total water withdrawal by source (G4-EN8)
The sum of all water drawn into the boundaries of the reporting organization from all sources (including surface water, groundwater, quarry water used, municipal water, external waste water,harvested rainwater) for any use over the course of the reporting period.
Water withdrawal − Water discharge
Total water discharge by quality and destination(G4-EN22)
The sum of water effluents discharged over the course of the reporting period to ocean, surface, subsurface/well, off-site water treatment, and beneficial/other use through a defined discharge point (point source discharge), over land in a dispersed or undefined manner (non-point source discharge), or waste water removed from the reporting organization via truck.Domestic sewage discharge is added to G4-EN22 total water discharge effluents according to this Protocol.
Water withdrawal − Water discharge = Water consumption
Total water consumption (GWT for Cement Sector)
The water evaporated for cooling purposes, the water evaporated from water storage facilities, the water lost via transmission, the water incorporated in the organization’s products and on-site uses.
Water consumption removes water from a system and makes it unavailable for further use.
The total water consumption includes rainwater harvested onsite for any use; it differs from total freshwater consumption, which excludes harvested rainwater; both are included in the GWT for Cement Sector.
Percentage of sites with a water recycling system
The total number of sites with a water recycling facility, divided by the total number of sites, expressed as a percentage.
For aggregate operations, the last indicator above is comprised of the following two indicators:
- Percentage of sites with a water process: The total number of sites using water for aggregate production (including wet screening and aggregate washing)divided by the total number of sites;
- Percentage of sites with a water recycling system: The proportion of sites using water for aggregate production