The CSI's Agenda for Action was published in 2002, following a two year program of scoping, research and stakeholder consultation looking at what sustainable development means for the cement industry. It set out a five-year work program to take the companies towards practical actions, focusing on the five main work areas outlined below:
- CO2 and Climate Protection
- Responsible Use of Fuels and Raw Materials
- Employee Health and Safety
- Emissions Monitoring and Reduction
- Local Impacts on Land and Communities
In 2005, the topic of concrete recycling was added to this list of core CSI work areas. The CSI has also established new task forces to address issues in sustainability benefits of concrete, water, sustainable supply chain management and evaluation study on externalities of the cement & concrete sector.